Wednesday, August 08, 2012

What's So Great About Anthony?

Yesterday I had a thought - I can feel the bad things in my life immediately.  I was taking the girls to swimming and it's such a drag - it's been incredibly hot and so sunny and every time I get Veronica and Felicity out of the car for swimming, they act like I am placing them on the surface of the sun.  Or Mars.  Is anyone sick of Mars?  I know I'm a bad American but I don't give a HOOT about Mars.  Anyway.

So I was thinking, as usual, this sucks and I hate it.  Right there, in the present, I hated it.  And I was thinking I wish I could feel the good things in my life, the luck that I have, in the present the way that I can feel the bad stuff.  I know there are good things but it feels hard to appreciate them.  I find it annoying - more than annoying - when people are like "LIFE IS GOOD, IT'S SO AWESOME TO BE ME! on Facebook, but who's to say that I can't just feel that way without making a big announcement about it?  It's the announcing/bragging that I find obnoxious, not the actual feeling.

Anyway I complain a lot so I thought I'd do a quick round of What's So Great About Everyone to get things back in order.  So, without further adieu, What's So Great About Anthony:


  • There is no doubt that he is a genius.  He is doing so well with this PECS thing, after just one week, he has been flying along meeting his goals at school.  It's not surprising, Mike is really smart and I assume genetics has to play a part, right?  Anyway, genius.  
  • He is gorgeous.  Maybe I'm shallow but it's nice!  His teeth are coming out and in crazy fast and he is so good looking through it all.  Years ago, my friend Susie and I had this friend Susan.  Susan was gorgeous but kind of a wet blanket.  Susie and I were super fun and always had a great time but we'd go out with Susan and it was a real drag!  We were talking one time about why she was so boring, what gives, we wondered?  She was a nice girl and we were in New York City, in our 20's, why is it so hard to have fun with her?  Our friend Jeannine said that Susan just never had to work at anything.  Jeannine said, brutally honestly, that Susie and her and I weren't as good looking as Susan so we had to work harder to be well-liked.  Jeannine said that we three had times where our weight was up, or we were having a bad hair day, or whatever, and so we knew how to rev it up a little bit, personality-wise, in order to get people's minds off our failings.  I think it was true, too!  Anyways, if Anthony ever suffers personality wise, like if he's having a tantrum or hard to communicate with, I always think, well at lease he's good looking!  Just like boring old Susan!  
  • He has the most excellent hair.  Right now, it's kind of in the pre-Rod Stewart phase and it's a good one.  It's laying down and just barely pokes up but I know in a few weeks, it's going to get really excellent, especially in the morning. 
  • He's so lovable.  I think his therapist Kassi had such a good time with him at camp, his newer afternoon therapist Mary is so proud and happy when he has a good day.  They are firm with him but so, so loving.  I can see a really good example of how to be with Anthony from these girls and it's nice, if unexpected, seeing as they are like half my age and not mothers.  
  • This is weird but he's really been leaving his clothes on.  We are working on so many things with Anthony but this has been the most immediate pain.  I don't want him to be known as the neighborhood streaker, it's summertime and buggy, there's a bunch of reasons I don't want him to do it and he's getting better about it.  
  • I was lamenting to an internet friend of mine years ago, about how it seemed like everything written about how to improve your autistic child's life was for kids so much older than Anthony.  My friend's son was like 10 at the time and she told me she remembered, she said "I wanted to throw myself down the stairs every day when he was 0-5" and it was such a comfort.  I thought, oh great, at least I'm SUPPOSED to feel this way!  But anyway, things are better.  He is calmer and more grown up and it helps.  I am hopeful that this, combined with his genius and how PECS is working for us, means that we are on an upward trajectory.  
  • I just bought him some new clothes and he's super cute in them.  Shallow!  

No comments: