Sunday, July 11, 2010

Viva Spain!

Mike bought that outfit for Anthony years ago and it just keeps fitting. It makes me realize how big it used to be on him. Poor, poor Anthony woke up at 1:00 this morning and just went to sleep at 7:00. We are praying and praying that he sleeps all night. He is starting back to school tomorrow and we are all excited! He has some trips scheduled this summer, tomorrow he is going to a bounce place, they are going to the zoo, a splash park, etc.

We are also going to start him back in occupational therapy at his school soon. He got OT at his public school during the school year, so I think maybe he should start up again, maybe it would lessen his tantrums? Here's hoping, anyway.

I watched the Temple Grandin movie on HBO and it was so, so good. I cried and cried. Claire Danes was *amazing* as Temple Grandin, and the story was just so well told - it is hard to be in the mind of an autistic person, especially one like Temple Grandin, who sees 'in pictures', as she puts it, but whoever made the movie really, REALLY got it all across. It makes me so worried and hopeful for Anthony, at the same time.

There is a scene where Temple Grandin is graduating from college and she makes a speech about how she couldn't have gotten through without her mother and her family and friends. She then sings from the musical Carousel, the song "You'll Never Walk Alone". She is NOT a great singer, but it is a super poignant moment. I think Carousel is a horrible musical with a terrible message, BUT the song is beautiful and of course that scene made me cry and cry. The lyrics go:

When you walk through a storm,
Keep your chin up high
And don't be afraid of the dark.
At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark.
Walk on through the wind,
Walk on through the rain,
Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone.

So Waaaaah! I cried, all through the movie. But it's true! I think Anthony can do anything, and I think we can help him do anything. I have hope in my heart. MOST of the time. :)


Posted by Picasa

No comments: