Monday, March 08, 2010

Siblings

Ugh. I just read this article written by a sibling of an autistic brother and it really made me mad, kind of. Well, it didn't make me mad that this woman feels this way, but it did make me mad that she had some advice for parents of typical and autistic children. If Maria or Veronica ever gave me advice like that, I'd smack them, or at the very least give them a withering look.

I don't favor Anthony or put him ahead of the others, but man, if I did, who could blame me? Maybe this writer should spend a little time being HAPPY that she doesn't have such a problem and be grateful to this mother of hers, who she says was very devoted and good to her brother AND to her.

When I was growing up, my brother Larry was sick and my parents took him all over the place, for a long time, to find out what was wrong with him. I can't imagine now that I am grown up to say how hurt my feelings were that my parents took him to the doctor and how dare they and what about me? Honestly.

It's funny - Maria and I were going for a walk today while Anthony was at school. My sister was over so she was staying with the baby, so it was just Maria and me, which is rare. She is so funny, she wants to do exactly what Anthony does and Anthony wants to do some weird stuff! He likes to walk on the walls of people's houses and he likes for me to carry him from wall to wall, with him standing straight up. He likes to run up this one guy's hill and ring his wind chimes and then fall into my arms from the hill when he's finished. It's like even if Anthony's not there, I am still doing all the ticky-walk things he does! It's crazy.

I certainly hope that Maria and Veronica know that we love them just as much as Anthony - it's ridiculous to even think of it that way, how do you not love your kids all the same amount? I also hope that they know that if Anthony needs more attention, he's going to get it, and I don't want to hear any whining about it - now or years later, once they're grown. Sheesh.

In other news, Anthony woke up at 2:00 this morning, went back around 5:00 til 7:30 and is up there now wailing away - not sad, just his usual braying. Go to sleep, Anthony! I wasn't sure if I should go in last night when I heard him but I was SO glad I did when I found him pantsless AND diaperless and covered, soaked, in pee. I changed his sheets and got him dressed again and said good night! And also, Good night nurse!

No comments: